|"If Cordelia isn't your name, what is?"|
Is Ruby Gillis (CBC) the article you are looking for? Anne of Green Gables Wiki has separate articles for the various portrayals of Ruby Gillis in the books, films, television series and other media. For a list of all versions, see our disambiguation portal.
|This article or section is a stub. Please help Anne of Green Gables Wiki by expanding it.|
Ruby is a very pretty young girl. She has long blonde hair, fair skin, freckles, and large blue eyes, and is petite in size. She usually wears pink ribbons in her hair and is decidedly feminine.
Ruby is very loyal to her friends. Like many of the girls at Avonlea school, excluding Diana, it took time for her to warm up to Anne. However, when the Gillis house burns down and Ruby is made to stay at Green Gables during repairs, the two became friends. Ruby is known to be sensitive and emotional and is often flustered around her longtime crush Gilbert Blythe. Throughout the series, she has become upset whenever another girl receives Gilbert's attention. However, in the third season, she starts to notice Moody Spurgeon and eventually admits that she is no longer in love with Gilbert.
Ruby and Anne have a tenuous relationship at the start of the series. Ruby's dislike for Anne is due to her being an orphan, and then when Anne is noticed walking to school with Gilbert Blythe, Ruby's crush of three years. Anne and Ruby ultimately become friends after her house burns down and she is forced to stay with the Cuthberts until it is repaired. Afterward, Ruby warms up to Anne and they have a close friendship.
Gilbert is Ruby's long time crush. He, however, seems to only acknowledge her out of politeness. She is known to cry over him when he notices other girls instead of her.
Ruby gets a crush on Moody when she sees him play the banjo while the square dance practice is happening. Unlike Gilbert, he notices her as well.
Ruby is a female given name of English origin and means red gemstone. It was very popular name in late 19th century. Gillis is a Dutch and Swedish form of Giles which means young goat.
Behind the scenes
- In Season 1, Ruby is seen to have three younger sisters, unlike in the Books universe, where she has only older sisters. In "Struggling Against the Perception of Facts", it is revealed, that Ruby indeed has at least one older sister (named Susan) who was proposed to prior to Prissy Andrews' wedding.
|Anne of Green Gables Wiki has 109 images of Ruby Gillis (view gallery).|
Season 1 (Anne with an E)
- "But What Is So Headstrong as Youth?"
- "An Inward Treasure Born"
- "Tightly Knotted to a Similar String"
- "Remorse Is the Poison of Life"
- "Wherever You Are Is My Home"
Season 2 (Anne with an E)
- "Youth Is the Season of Hope"
- "Signs Are Small Measurable Things, But Interpretations Are Illimitable"
- "The Painful Eagerness of Unfed Hope"
- "The Determining Acts of Her Life"
- "I Protest Against Any Absolute Conclusion"
- "Memory Has as Many Moods as the Temper"
- "Struggling Against the Perception of Facts"
- "What We Have Been Makes Us What We Are"
- "The Growing Good of the World"
Season 3 (Anne with an E)
- "A Secret Which I Desired to Divine"
- "What Can Stop the Determined Heart"
- "I Am Fearless and Therefore Powerful"
- "The Summit of My Desires"
- "A Strong Effort of the Spirit of Good"
- "Great and Sudden Change"
- "The Better Feeling of My Heart"