Early life Edit
Matthew Cuthbert is the brother of Marilla and Michael Cuthbert. He runs Green Gables with his elder sister.
Life with Anne Edit
Due to his quiet nature, Matthew's first impression of Anne is unclear until Marilla refuses to keep her. Matthew reveals he is fond of Anne and persuades Marilla to give the girl a chance. This quick acceptance of Anne endears her to Matthew. At one point, Matthew goes against Marilla's and buys Anne a beautiful dress with puff sleeves. Towards the end of the first season, the Cuthberts run into financial trouble. Matthew suffers a heart attack shortly after learning the family may be ruined. Upon waking, Matthew goes into a cabinet to get a gun with the intention of committing suicide. Matthew thought that Marilla and Anne would be able to survive on the insurance money they would receive from his death. However, he is caught by Jeannie before he can take his life and collapses again. Matthew recovers well.
He is a tall man with tanner skin than his sister, due to being outside all the time. He has wise sky-blue eyes that are identical to Marilla's eyes and has messy grey hair that can't seem to be tamed
Matthew is a kind and incredibly shy man. He is terribly afraid of women, with the exception of his sister Marilla and adoptive daughter Anne.
Jerry Baynard Edit
Matthew employs Jerry to work at Green Gables.
Matthew and Marilla are brother and sister. They share a good bond with each other, although sometimes they get cross with each other.
Matthew's deceased brother.
Matthew's adopted daughter.
It is implied that Matthew and Jeannie might have had feelings for eachother but due to the death of Matthew's brother and the situation with his mother, it never led anywhere. From there on, it was a "what if" aura between them, which Anne found intriguing since she was of the opinion that Matthew deserved love and a relationship.
Matthew is a male given name of Hebrew origin and means gift of God. Cuthbert is derived from the Old English word for famous and bright.
- Matthew shares name with his father, Matthew Wilfred Cuthbert.
Behind the scenesEdit
- R.H. Thomson portrays Matthew in the Canadian TV series Anne with an E (2017–2019). Thomson had previously played Jasper Dale and Jeremiah Dale in Road to Avonlea (1990–1996).
- Gabriel Grennan played young Matthew in the flashback scenes.
- The CBC website describes him as, A pathologically shy man with a tender heart, Matthew’s broken spirit and zest for life is reinvigorated by his love for Anne.
- According to the Cuthbert family Bible, Matthew was born on June 15, 1841.
|Anne of Green Gables Wiki has 209 images of Matthew Cuthbert (view gallery).|
Season 1 (Anne with an E)
- "Your Will Shall Decide Your Destiny"
- "I Am No Bird, and No Net Ensnares Me"
- "But What Is So Headstrong as Youth?"
- "An Inward Treasure Born"
- "Tightly Knotted to a Similar String"
- "Remorse Is the Poison of Life"
- "Wherever You Are Is My Home"
Season 2 (Anne with an E)
- "Youth Is the Season of Hope"
- "Signs Are Small Measurable Things, But Interpretations Are Illimitable"
- "The True Seeing Is Within"
- "The Painful Eagerness of Unfed Hope"
- "The Determining Acts of Her Life"
- "I Protest Against Any Absolute Conclusion"
- "Memory Has as Many Moods as the Temper"
- "Struggling Against the Perception of Facts"
- "What We Have Been Makes Us What We Are"
- "The Growing Good of the World"
Season 3 (Anne with an E)
- "A Secret Which I Desired to Divine"
- "There Is Something at Work in My Soul Which I Do Not Understand"
- "What Can Stop the Determined Heart"
- "A Hope of Meeting You in Another World"
- "I Am Fearless and Therefore Powerful"
- "The Summit of My Desires"
- "A Strong Effort of the Spirit of Good"
- "Great and Sudden Change"
- "A Dense and Frightful Darkness"
- "The Better Feeling of My Heart"