Matthew Cuthbert is the brother of Marilla and Michael Cuthbert. He runs Green Gables with his elder sister. Due to his quiet nature, Matthew's first impression of Anne is unclear until Marilla refuses to keep her. Matthew reveals he is fond of Anne and persuades Marilla to give the girl and chance. This quick acceptance of Anne endears her to Matthew. At one point, Matthew goes against Marilla's and buys Anne a beautiful dress with puff sleeves. Towards the end of the first season, the Cuthberts run into financial trouble. Matthew suffers a heart attack shortly after learning the family may be ruined. Upon waking, Matthew goes into a cabinet to get a gun with the intention of committing suicide. Matthew thought that Marilla and Anne would be able to survive on the insurance money they would receive from his death. However, he is caught by Jeannie before he can take his life and collapses again. Matthew recovers well.
Matthew is a kind and incredibly shy man. He is terribly afraid of women, with the exception of his sister Marilla and adoptive daughter Anne.
Jerry Baynard Edit
Matthew employs Jerry to work at Green Gables.
Matthew and Marilla are brother and sister. They share a good bond with each other, although they usually don't show it.
Matthew's deceased brother.
Matthew's adopted daughter.
The name Matthew is an English form of Matthaios, which was a Greek form of the Hebrew name Mattityahu meaning "gift of YAHWEH", from the roots mattan meaning "gift" and yah referring to the Hebrew God. Matthew, also called Levi, was one of the twelve apostles. He was a tax collector, and supposedly the author of the first gospel in the New Testament. He is considered a saint in many Christian traditions. The variant Matthias also occurs in the New Testament belonging to a separate apostle. The name appears in the Old Testament as Mattithiah. As an English name, Matthew has been in use since the Middle Ages.
The name Cuthbert is derived from the Old English word for "famous" and "bright". Saint Cuthbert was a 6th-century hermit who became the bishop of Lindisfarne, an island off the coast of England. He was known as performer of healing miracles. Because of the saint, this name remained in use in England even after the Norman Conquest. It became rare after the Protestant Reformation, but it was briefly revived in the 19th century.
Behind the scenesEdit
- R.H. Thomson portrays Matthew in the Canadian TV series Anne with an E (2017–2019). Thomson had previously played Jasper Dale and Jeremiah Dale in Road to Avonlea (1990–1996).
- Gabriel Grennan played young Matthew in the flashback scenes.
- The CBC website describes him as, A pathologically shy man with a tender heart, Matthew’s broken spirit and zest for life is reinvigorated by his love for Anne.
- According to the Cuthbert family Bible, Matthew was born on June 15, 1841.
|Anne of Green Gables Wiki has 206 images of Matthew Cuthbert (view gallery).|
Season 1 (Anne with an E)
- "Your Will Shall Decide Your Destiny"
- "I Am No Bird, and No Net Ensnares Me"
- "But What Is So Headstrong as Youth?"
- "An Inward Treasure Born"
- "Tightly Knotted to a Similar String"
- "Remorse Is the Poison of Life"
- "Wherever You Are Is My Home"
Season 2 (Anne with an E)
- "Youth Is the Season of Hope"
- "Signs Are Small Measurable Things, But Interpretations Are Illimitable"
- "The True Seeing Is Within"
- "The Painful Eagerness of Unfed Hope"
- "The Determining Acts of Her Life"
- "I Protest Against Any Absolute Conclusion"
- "Memory Has as Many Moods as the Temper"
- "Struggling Against the Perception of Facts"
- "What We Have Been Makes Us What We Are"
- "The Growing Good of the World"
Season 3 (Anne with an E)
- "A Secret Which I Desired to Divine"
- "There Is Something at Work in My Soul Which I Do Not Understand"
- "What Can Stop the Determined Heart"
- "A Hope of Meeting You in Another World"
- "I Am Fearless and Therefore Powerful"
- "The Summit of My Desires"
- "A Strong Effort of the Spirit of Good"
- "Great and Sudden Change"
- "A Dense and Frightful Darkness"
- "The Better Feeling of My Heart"